Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Don Kayak .My story and how I got started kayak fishing .

Ok this is my first blog . Im Don a kayak fishing guide in the Waco area . I started river guide fishing in 2014 and also organizing kayak bass tournaments .I have lived in the Brazos river area around Lake Whitney for 4 years .In 2010 I started fishing from the bank on Lake Whitney and the Brazos River. I had great success fishing the tailwaters below Lake Whitney dam . Mostly catching 5lb largemouth bass and big blue catfish. In 2011 I caught a 20lb striped bass, I was hooked for life .
Since then I have caught 2 more close to that size .
Enough bragging - Back to the story .In 2011 I got my first kayak I purchased from my landlord for $200 -Heritage angler14.
I wanted to start my adventure on the greatest river in texas - The Brazos .Having loved the book Goodbye to a River.  I was on my way exploring , I mostly took my kayak around the upper part of lake whitney in those days . I lived in a slum hole off 2604 . The locals call it  20skitz04 .Even though it was run down  I loved it. Growing up in Fort Worth , I always loved to escape the city and couldn't wait to escape it for good.In 2012 I got a pay raise at the sand plant and moved to the Brazos river. You could find me yakin up and down the Brazos river . That's were I got the name RiverRat.
Things were going great and Tragedy Struck. For family reasons I had to move back to Fort Worth , I missed the river and dreamed about it every night. My friend jon took me to denton creek some but It wasn't the same and I worked hard to get back . Worked security jobs and drove an airport shuttle bus at DFW . At DFW I shuttled Mr Crappie and he gave me some ideas how to make my passion -my job . I lived at Budget suites of America for a year and got to move back 😀
In 2014 I bought 3 kayaks -pescador12-apex10 -pelican and a fishing license.
My first client I took on the Nolan river ,a lawyer from san antonio. Then I guided Mike and Michael and another Michael and his girlfriend. Also few locals and meet some new great friends .
In Feb 2014 I organized my first tournament at Lake Aquilla , we had 8 competiors  .  We held a total of 5 tournaments this year , with 30 total people showing up .The most successful was at Brazos park east in april we had 11 people.


 I got first place at the river bassin tournament stop in Waco Texas.


We had some fun tournaments .Its kind of like Mike Iaconelli says Never Give Up .
 Well now im starting out blogging and fishing  . Hope to see you on the river soon .
Here is some great pics from this year and my best youtube video .